Yogurt Carrot BreadPosted: February 11, 2011
On my travels across the internet I came across a fantastic site for bread lovers, The Fresh Loaf. This site has just about everything you’d want to know about bread, along with a great recipe for yogurt carrot bread. I played around with the measurements a little and came up with my own version here.
Yogurt Carrot Bread or Another Way to Use Your Homemade Yogurt
3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup yogurt, at room temperature
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup carrots, grated
1 Tablespoon dill
1. Mix flour, yeast, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.
2. Add hot water, yogurt, carrots, dill, and stir just until dough forms a ball.
3. Remove dough from the bowl and knead on a floured surface for only a minute. Don’t over knead. The dough should hold it’s shape, but still be sticky.
4. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise until tripled.
To achieve a crunchy crust and spongy crumb I preheat a dutch oven inside my oven for at least 45 minutes. So plan accordingly during step 4 and your oven should already be preheated by now.
5. Dust a section of parchment paper (14″ x14″) with flour. Remove the dough from the bowl while folding it back into a ball and place it on the parchment paper. Dust the top of the dough ball with flour and score with a sharp knife.
6. Open the oven and remove the lid from the dutch oven. Lift the parchment paper, with the bread on it, and place it in the dutch oven. Replace the lid and close the oven.
7. Bake for 3o minutes. Remove lid from dutch oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
If you don’t care about the beautiful, crunchy, rustic looking crust, bake it however you like. It will still taste heavenly!